tagline

One woman's adventures in cooking for her Dutch-American family.









Friday, April 1, 2011

The Week In Pictures

I'm going to try something new: a weekly review of the recipes I made each week, possibly with commentary.

Sunday:
Frittata. I didn't actually take a photo of my frittata this time since I've made it before, although I did take some cute pictures with boys during dinner. Like this one.

I think this recipe will become one of those great catch-all recipes. Got some eggs, some greens, some cheese, some veggies? How about a frittata!? As a bonus, frittata is really fun to say. Frittata, frittata, frittatata...

Monday:
Chicken Stew with Dumplings. This was really, REALLY good. I have been looking for a good crockpot-chicken-and-dumplings recipe and found this one for the stove. But it has the perfect comfort food flavor and texture so I forgive it. Only think I'll change is to add a little extra broth, because the leftovers were a little low on liquid. Actually, next time I'll double the recipe so I have more leftovers.
Paasbrood. I'm quite proud of my first attempt at making this Dutch Easter bread. It's very similar to the cinnamon raisin bread I've been making every week, but it has almond paste and orange peel instead.
Rolling up the paasbrood.
Tuesday:
Indian Spiced Oats with Coconut Milk. I have steel cut oats most every morning. Usually I make a big batch early in the week and then portion it out. I had a little extra coconut milk so I made this version. It was quite good, so I'll definitely keep it in the rotation.
Indonesian Pilaf. Big Day! We signed the contract for our new house. While our builders were here, I was able to introduce them to one of my favorite new meals.

Mint Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies. I was intrigued by the oat flour in this recipe. I have some in my pantry from something I made before, so I'm always looking for other oat flour recipes. I also had some leftover cream cheese so this seemed like a good use-thing-up recipe. I didn't have mint chips so I added about 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract instead. I thought the cookies turned out well, but I still like this recipe for mint chocolate chip cookies better.
Wednesday:
The first shuffle of the week came on Wednesday. I forgot we had a play date/pizza party with our small group. I scrapped the Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups.

Thursday:
Broccoli Brunch Braid. This recipe has been in the binder for awhile and never disappoints. Best of all, even though it looks complicated, it's quite easy and very tasty.
Chocolate Cookie Dough Truffles. There's a local coffee shop that makes these amazing healthy-ish cookie dough things called Morsi. I was trying to find the recipe (still am) when I found these not-at-all healthy cookie concoctions. There were really fun to make--although I really need to get a candy fork to make my life easier--and even more fun to eat!

Friday:
Greek Chicken Pasta. I switched this meal around too because we had some new friends in town over for dinner, and this looked like it made the most of anything I was making. It was a new recipe to me, which made me a little nervous, but either they liked it or are very polite! I used regular cubed chicken, which I seasoned with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper before cooking separately. Other than that, the only other change I would make is too cook the pasta a little less.
Saturday:
Pasties. This classic UP recipe was a big hit last time I made them. I had some leftover veggies all cubed and ready to go, so this will be an easy meal. I put a little garlic salt in the dough for a bit of a bunch. I consulted the FB universe to learn what I should serve with them, and based on the collective wisdom I gleaned, offered them up with dill sauce, ketchup, BBQ sauce, gravy and mashed potatoes.

No picture this time since it was leftovers.

Eet Smakelijk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...