tagline

One woman's adventures in cooking for her Dutch-American family.









Monday, January 31, 2011

Frittata Bites with Chard, Sausage, and Feta

As I've been reading foodie books like "My Life in France" by Julia Child, I make note of all the recipes that seem intimidating to me for whatever reason. Sometimes it's because it uses yeast (my nemesis!), sometimes because it require skill I don't think I quite have, sometimes it's time-consuming or complicated. I'm not actually sure why frittatas were on this list, maybe I usually think of it as being served at high brow sorts of affairs.

At any rate, I was looking for recipes to use up the dozen or so eggs in our frig and found this frittata which also used a green, which was convenient, because I also had some extra kale. I certainly didn't have anything to be worried about with this one. It was a bit time-consuming--mostly baking time and setting time, which I didn't account for. Totally my fault, not the recipes. I added a pinch of garlic salt and a handful of sun-dried tomatoes, and of course, exchanged the chard for kale. It was delicious!

from epicurious.com with my adaptations

Ingredients:
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 1 12-ounce bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs removed (I used kale)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
  • pinch of garlic salt
  • 8 ounces mild Italian sausages, casings removed, sausage broken into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (I used milk)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)
  • Fresh Italian parsley leaves (I used dried parsley)
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 325°F.
  • Spray 8 x 8 x 2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
  • Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
  • Add Swiss chard (or kale, or spinach, or whatever green you have on hand) and cook just until wilted, about 2 minutes.
  • Drain.
  • Finely chop chard, then place in kitchen towel and squeeze dry (or use your snazzy new salad spinner!). Set chard aside.
  • Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add onion and garlic salt to skillet and sauté until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Add sausage and sauté until brown and cooked through, breaking up with fork, 5 to 7 minutes.
  • Add tomatoes a few minutes before the sausage is done.
  • Remove from heat and cool.
  • Whisk eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend.
  • Add chard and cooled sausage mixture, then feta; stir to blend.
We're definitely getting our greens in tonight!
  • Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
  • Bake frittata until set in center, 45 to 55 minutes.
  • Transfer baking dish to rack and cool frittata 15 to 20 minutes. Place platter atop dish with frittata.
  • If you want to be all fancy, use oven mitts and hold baking dish and platter firmly together and invert frittata onto platter; place another platter atop frittata and invert again so that frittata is right side up. Cut frittata into 20 pieces.
  • If you're serving at home for breakfast or breakfast for dinner, cut into 12 pieces.
  • Transfer frittata pieces to platter. Garnish each piece with parsley; serve warm or at room temperature.
Fresh from the oven.
The boys inspect the source of all that smell-goodness.
Post-dinner status. Not much left for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...