tagline

One woman's adventures in cooking for her Dutch-American family.









Monday, February 7, 2011

Indonesian Pilaf

Sometime I'll have to make a post about how I organize my recipes, both online and at home. I started tearing recipes out of magazines long before I started cooking them, and this recipe for Indonesians Pilaf came from Real Simple a few years ago.

For a long time, I kept skipping over this one because I thought I had to buy the Kashi packet. Finally I read the fine print and realized I could use any grain I wanted. Dutch cuisine includes a lot of Indonesian foods, given the whole Dutch occupation thing. Politics aside, it sounded yummy and I loved all the colors.

adapted from Kashi.com

*notes*

I halved the original recipe because it seems like a massive amount for the 2.5 of us. Both of the adults had two bowls (!) and we still had two generous servings for the hubs to take to work for lunch.

Also, we don't necessarily buy labeled organic produce, but we do buy from a great local grocery store/farmer's market-y type place.

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet of Kashi™ 7 Whole Grain Pilaf (I used 2 cups dry couscous--4 cups when cooked)
  • 1/2 cup whole peanuts
  • 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
  • 1-1/2 cloves organic garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 medium organic red onion, diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/2 cup organic raisins
  • 1 small organic carrot, cut into match sticks (1 diced mine)
  • 1/2 cup organic red cabbage, diced (buy the smallest one you can find, because you'll have a ton left over. The hubs helpfully pointed out that in Holland you can get this pre-shredded in small amounts).
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1/2 organic red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped (I used a couple teaspoons dried)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoons brown rice vinegar (I used white rice vinegar, because that's what I had)
  • 1 teaspoons fresh ginger root, grated (I used ground ginger)
  • 1/2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
  • 1 teaspoons evaporated cane juice crystals (I used raw sugar)
Instructions:
  • Cook Kashi Pilaf (or couscous, or quinoa, or rice) according to directions on the package and set aside.
  • Dry toast peanuts in a small skillet until golden brown and set aside.
  • Sauté garlic and onion in first 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a large skillet until limp.
The food processor went a little nuts with the red onion.

  • Add cumin, coriander and stir.
I love my cute little steel bowls from Ikea.

  • Add raisins, carrots, cabbage, salt, water and stir well.
  • Cover with lid, reduce heat to low, simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat.

  • In a large mixing bowl, combine sauté mixture with cooked Kashi Pilaf, red bell pepper, cilantro, toasted peanuts and mix well.

  • In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, whisk together, add to pilaf mixture, stir well and enjoy.
Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Calories: 180

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...