I first discovered sun dried tomato pesto when I started making our favorite Elegant Orzo recipe. It's pretty pricey at the grocery store, so I was quite interested in trying it out when I came across the recipe on Sara's Imafoodblog.com. Turns out I had everything on hand and it's really quick and easy. I'm still getting a feel for it, so it comes out a little different each time, but every time it tastes better than the kind you buy at the store.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
Adapted from At Home with Magnolia by Sara at Imafoodblog.com
Yield: About 1 Cup
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted whole almonds
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 generous packed cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmigianno regianno
- 1 cup olive oil
- Drain your sun dried tomatoes, lightly rinse them, and then pat them dry with a paper towel. (I buy my sun-dried tomatoes in bulk, without oil. So I skip this part).
- Toast your almonds in a dry shallow pan. They will take about 10 minutes, and you will smell when they are done.
- Zest your lemon.
- Juice your lemon. (I always keep lemons in the frig. You can use the zest in recipes, the juice in others, and throw the peel in the garbage disposal to give your kitchen a burst of lemony scent).
- In a large food processor, combine the basil, toasted almonds, garlic, lemon zest, and salt. Process until coarsely chopped.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes and parmigianno cheese and process until the tomatoes are coarsely chopped.