tagline

One woman's adventures in cooking for her Dutch-American family.









Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Casserole with Meatballs & Carrots

Ovenschotel met gehaktballetjes en winterpeen
(English: Casserole with Meatballs & Carrots)

translated from the Albert Heijn website


When we were in the Netherlands over the holidays, I was happy to notice that most of the groceries stores provided free magazines filled with recipes. I brought about four of these home and dog-earred all sorts of possibilities. Even though my Dutch has improved quite a bit since meeting my husband, I still needed a little help translating the recipes.

I've had my eye on this one for awhile and WOW! It's is SO good. It has quickly become my favorite Dutch meal. It's not complicated, though you will save a LOT of time if you have a food processor. It's basically (turkey) burger, carrots and potatoes seasoned with thyme, salt and pepper.

The secret ingredient is...
...ketjap mantis, which would I would describe as a thick, Indonesian sweet soy sauce. It's a bit tricky to find here in the States, so we brought some home with us. I would think you could maybe find it in an Asian grocery store, otherwise you can find a good homemade recipe here or here.

Ingredients:
• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• 2 onions, chopped
• 1lb (2 cups)meatballs ( used ground turkey)
• 1 clove garlic
• 2 teaspoons thyme
• 2 Tablespoons ketjap mantis or soy sauce (I think if I used soy sauce, I might add 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar and a pinch of coriander).
• 700g carrots, sliced.
• 700g potatoes (about 5), sliced
• Pepper and salt to taste
• 5oz cold water or broth

Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Use a food processor to chop up your veggies.
Use big fat carrots so you don't have to peel this many carrots.
  • Heat up the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions in about 3 minutes.
  • Add the meat balls/burger and cook until the meat balls are nice and brown.
  • Add the garlic, thyme, soy sauce, pepper and salt.
  • Add 150 ml water (or broth) while stirring and deglazing the pan.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Add the mix from the pan into the oven dish using a slotted spoon, so the juice remains in the pan.
  • Add the carrots.
  • Then the potato slices.
  • Spread the frying liquid over top.
  • Cover and bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
Eet Smakelijk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...